Reasons to Support Us
- While Limited Assortment Discounters such as Lidl have become an increasingly popular destination for food shopping, there is currently a gap in provision in Shaftesbury;
- The new Lidl in Shaftesbury will therefore provide a qualitative improvement in local food shopping, bringing increased choice and competition, while at the same time reducing the need to travel to stores further afield;
- The new Lidl will provide greater choice and competition in local food shopping;
- The new Lidl will create around 40 new jobs with a mix of part-time and full-time roles;
- The development of the foodstore on this site accords with the National Planning Policy Framework which supports sustainable economic development;
- The new store will improve choice and promote competition with up to 30% cost savings;
- Lidl stock a variety of unique product lines which are not available from other mainstream retailers; and
- The majority of Lidl’s permanent products are sourced from British suppliers, including 100% of our eggs, dairy and fresh meat, which all carry the national Red Tractor logo¹ assuring that they are locally sourced and meet guaranteed farming standards.
- The proposed development will provide a high quality, contemporary building, built to Lidl’s newest specification; and
- The modern building will provide a light, spacious sales area, with full height glazing to the southern elevation facing across the proposed car park to Christy’s Lane.
- Sustainable construction techniques will be employed as well as the use of sustainable materials;
- Lidl operate a highly energy efficient business with a strong commitment to recycling and the use of energy efficient equipment and techniques within the store to reduce carbon emissions; and
- The store will serve the residential catchment of Shaftesbury, will be accessible by a choice of modes of transport and will reduce the need to travel to existing discount stores further afield.